Using the National Longitudinal Surveys of Youth for Education Research
This course available at no cost
This course will introduce new users, and reacquaint past users with the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY79), the NLSY79 Child and Young Adult, and the NLSY97 data sets. The instructor will present an overview of the various data sets emphasizing the array of educational data available for each cohort, discuss some recent educational studies that have used these data, and provide hands on experience with accessing data files and downloading variables.
The format is a mixture of lecture and hands on exercises that can be done alone or in small groups. No prerequisite skills or knowledge is assumed. The course is for everyone from graduate students through advanced researchers.
This course includes hands-on exercises that require the use of a web browser.
Topics convered in this course include:
- Introduction - Elizabeth Cooksey
- Using the National Longitudinal Surveys of Youth for Education Research - Elizabeth Cooksey
- Accessing NLS Investigator - Steve McClaskie
- Elizabeth Cooksey, The Ohio State University
- Steve McClaskie, The Ohio State University
Course No. 104-2013